A Fun, Flexible, Faith-filled Catholic Club for girls!
Little Flowers Girls’ Club® is a Catholic club for girls ages 5 and up that teaches virtues through scripture, saints’ biographies and the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Based on the 1906 Catholic classic The Catholic Girls’ Guide by Fr. F.X. Lasance, and the spirituality of St. Thérése, the Little Flower of Liseux, this beautiful, authentically Catholic program, has delighted and instilled in our girls a love of our Catholic Faith for over 25 years.
Little Flowers Girls’ Club® program consists of four years of study: Wreaths I, II, III and IV. Each Wreath consists of nine virtues. The program is so adaptable that it can be used with multiple age groups or just one grade at a time; the leader’s guides explain how. Meetings can be in the home, in a group, parish or group setting. Groups can meet weekly, bi-weekly or monthly. Groups can start with Wreath I, but girls can join at anytime.
Like a scouting program, girls earn badges for the virtues they have practiced, life skills they have learned. But unlike most scouting organizations, the girls learn and earn their badges through a distinctly Catholic lens. This Catholic to the Core program relies on the stories of the saints, Sacred Scripture and the Catechism of the Catholic Church. The program is flexible enough to use with a variety of age groups. Little Flowers Girls’ Club® has also been successfully implemented in the family. Sashes, aprons, bandanas, t-shirts and other items are extras that add to the experience, but are not necessary to running a successful club.
The Leader’s Guide for each wreath offers suggestions for running meetings, planning crafts and activities, talks on virtues, and other relevant information. The Member’s Guide includes the activities, saints’ biographies, pictures of the saints, and prayers for each girl. Each of the girls in the club should have their own copy of the Member’s Guide.
Leaders should have fun with the program and use the flexibility to choose the items that are right for your group’s needs. God bless you in your work for His work!
Step by Step in Starting a Little Flowers Girls’ Club®
This time of year, we get a lot of interest in starting a Club either now or planning for the fall. We frequently get asked: What does it take? What do I do first? Starting a Catholic Club is easier than you might think! Here are some general step by step guidelines you can follow:
Discernment: Should I do this?
- Pray—Is God calling you to start a Catholic Club for your child?
- Time—How much time do you want to put into the club? You can meet once a week or once a month. All programs are flexible to fit your needs.
- Place–Do you want to hold it at a Catholic school, parish or in your home? If you want to hold it at a parish facility, you’ll need to get permission from the Pastor, principal and/or Children’s Minister. Clubs should be seen as ministries of the parish like Vacation Bible School, Youth Groups and Bible Studies.
- Money–There are no chartering or registration costs. All other costs are flexible. Each child should have their own books ($4.50-$5.95 at the online catalog ) Money may be needed for patches, crafts, shirts/vests, snacks or whatever else you wish to add to your meetings. Some leaders ask for a set amount up front and place one order, others have each member get their own supplies and charge a set fee for craft materials. Some are even included in their parish budgeting and have many costs covered.
- Build it and they will come–Put an ad in your parish bulletin, send a flier home with the religious ed children, have a sign-up after Mass, send out emails to the homeschool community. These are all ways to invite youth to come to Catholic Clubs. Don’t forget to ask for adult volunteers, too. You’ll need them!
- Get the materials–See the online catalog tab above to browse all the information available for the Catholic Club you are running. Leader and Member packages are assembled for savings and ease of use.
- Get even more materials! Don’t forget to check out the Pinterest page, YouTube channel, and connect with other leaders on Facebook and Twitter.
- Register Your Club– Register your club at the Registered Clubs site. This is FREE! and you will get a log in to get even more free materials on teaching virtues, saint biographies and more! Registration also puts your group on the map so you can connect with other Catholic Clubs in your area and other interest youth can find you!
- Plan your meetings. Basic how-tos on planning the meetings are included in the Leader’s Guide for each Club. There are also helpful videos on our YouTube Channel. You can also have each mom plan a meeting so you don’t have to do all of it. Or, you can have one mom be the craft mom, another the music mom, another the badge mom, etc.
- Enjoy! That’s it! Here’s to a Club that helps you and your kids grow in holiness, one virtue at a time with your Catholic to the Core Clubs!